Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Why I Am Doing This

The other day I got a package from Helen Keller International.   I participated in a trivia contest with the organization on Twitter.   I didn't win -- by a longshot.   But they had some extra prizes and they liked my answers so I got the package.   It consisted of a biography of Ms. Keller, some healthy seeds for eyesight and a magnet with an awesome Helen Keller quote.   I'll get back to the quote in a second.

What does HKI do? They work globally to prevent blindess, help those with poor visition through ensuring proper vision screening and nutrition.    As you know, Ms. Keller was both deaf and blind through illness contracted as a baby.   This organization carries on her work.    I do support the work of HKI though some of my other work.

HKI is not one of the organizations that the Quilt Block Challenge supports.  I had to limit it to 5 organizations to avoid diluting the impact.   If I had a list of 100 organizations (easy to do with all the great organizations out there), the $10 donations would be spread too thin.   But, by limiting it to 5, it focuses the impact a bit more.


And focusing the impact is key.   Helen Keller  "Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much."   By myself, I can only give so much to worthy organizations.   I can only make so many quilts.   Together, we can give to the chosen organizations, which will give them more in donations to their work.   Then I can do more quilts to help others.   It is a collaborative effort.  

Won't you join me so we can do so much?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment