Thursday, June 6, 2013

Clinic Night 6/6/2013

Had a very long day in court today.   Longer than it was supposed to be due to an emergency motion.   I was tired out by the time I got back to the office.   But my day wasn't done.   It was Pro Bono Clinic night.

I love doing it Clinic.   It's a walk in clinic in Montgomery County.   We have several around the county every month.   This particular one is the first and second Thursday of every month at the East County Regional Service Center.   Anyone with a legal problem can walk in and get basic advice.   We don't represent the folks.   They either get referred to the Pro Bono Program or another agency.    But it's anything goes:  traffic, bankruptcy, landlord-tenant, criminal, debt collection, whatever.

I do family law.   You would think after a long day I would be too worn to muster the energy.   But honestly, it is the most energizing thing.   People come in with their problems, you help them a bit.   The whole reason most lawyers went to law school.

You get the most bizarre twist on cases.   Which is why I love family law.   Put family law and clinic together and you never what you will get.   Heck even if it old dogs up to the same old tricks, it still can be fun.   I love telling someone -- yeah that pension your spouse said you would never get, it's half yours.   Oh your spouse thinks income can be hidden to avoid child support, good luck with that one.   Then seeing the sign of relief when they realize that the court system is not how the other person said it was, makes all the tiredness disappear.

Clinic is not all excitement.   Sometimes you have to tell people "No you are not going to get joint custody of the child you haven't seen in the last 5 years."  "No joint custody does not get you out of child support."  But whatever.   I ain't here to be Little Ms. Sunshine.   My job is to educate people about how family law works in the state of Maryland.   You might not like it, but you will get the truth from me.

All in all a good night.   Which is what I am saying now because after the adrenalin rush of clinic comes the crash.

No comments:

Post a Comment