Sunday, June 9, 2013

About the Charities

I chose 5 charities to be the recipient of the donations for the quilt challenge.   I went with 5 because I couldn't narrow it down any further, but I didn't want to have too many.   Believe me there are a lot of worthy organizations out there.   I went with organizations that are rated either 3 or 4 stars on Charity Navigator.  I wanted trustworthy organizations.   Then I chose organizations that operate in areas that are important to me.   So let's learn more about them:

Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund -- Mission Statement:  The Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund serves United States military personnel wounded or injured in service to our nation, and their families.  Supporting these heroes helps repay the debt all Americans owe them for the sacrifices they have made in service to our nation.  They are, in the words of our founder, the late Zachary Fisher, “our nation’s greatest national resource,” and they deserve all the help that our nation can provide.  The Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund is a leader in meeting this important national mission.      Currently IFHF is fundraising to raise $100 million to build satellite centers to serve those suffering traumatic brain injury and PTSD.  I chose IFHF because I served myself for a short time, and because we owe a huge debt to those who protect our freedoms every day.   Some pay the ultimate sacrifice, some live with the wounds (both visible and invisble) and every day.

Leukemia and Lymphoma Society -- Dedicated to funding research for blood cancers and providing education and patient services.   More than $750 million has been awarded to researchers    I chose LLS because I have lost 3 family members to cancer since 1997.   A cure can be found, we just need to keep looking.

Mercy Corps -- Alleviating poverty, suffering and oppression through building secure just and productive communities.   This is an international development organization.   They go in to communities throughout the world and help people help themselves.   This month (June 2013) donations are matched.   Besides donations of any amount, you can give symbolic gifts to help people become productive, healthy members of society.   Some of the gifts are:  a goat, a hive of bees, a bag of seeds, a cookstove and many other items.   I chose Mercy Corps because I have a degree in International Relations, so I know the link between poverty and war.   I also love the symbolic gifts, it is such an awesome way to connect the work done with the donors.

Polaris Project -- Pushes for stronger laws against human trafficking, operates the National Trafficking Hotline, provides services to victims and educates the public about human trafficking.   Slavery didn't end with the 13th Amendment.   It goes on worldwide, including the US, today.   Polaris Project is leading the fight.   I chose Polaris because I interned with them in law school.   I saw first hand the work they do.   Human trafficking is disgusting and horrible and has no place in a civilized society, Polaris is trying to end that.

Room to Read -- Literacy improves society.   Education, especially for girls in places it is denied, improves society.   Room to Read works in Asia and Africa to bring education and literacy to under served communities.   I chose Room to Read because I love to read.   When I was a little girl we only had a bookmobile in our town.   I was grateful mind you, but it only came once a week.   Then my parents and a bunch of other concerned adults got together and got the town a library.   Books, glorious books.   I want every child to experience that joy of being transported to another place, time, world by books.

You can learn more about the chosen organizations by clicking the links on the side.   The link takes you to the donation page, but from there you can navigate the websites.   Learn more about these fine organizations.   Don't forget to donate.  Together we can make a difference (yeah, it's a cliche but it's true).

No comments:

Post a Comment