Saturday, August 31, 2013

New Project -- Make Your Donation Count

I just volunteered to make some quilted toys for the Montgomery County Family Justice Center's children's room.   The FJC is a one-stop shop for victims of domestic violence.   They can get therapy, legal help and other assistance without running all over the county.   They can even leave their kids in the children's room while they are meeting with counselors or their attorneys.   The children's room always need toys.  

One of the toys I will be making is quilt balls.   These are fun balls to make.   They are soft so good for children to play with in a confined space.   I made a soccer ball one for my niece her freshman year of college.   I figured she could kick it around the dorm halls as a stress reliever.  



They have smaller balls which is what I will make for the FJC (that soccer ball was harder than I thought).




I know the picture is a little blurry.   But trust me, this a great fun ball.   You can use bright colors that kids will like.

How do you come in?   Every $10 donation to one of the chosen organizations on the right makes 1 toy for the room.   Instead of one block that goes into a quilt, you get the joy of knowing you helped make a whole toy.   You helped ease a parent's worry about the child while giving a child a little fun during a very difficult time.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Elizabeth, I love what you are doing here. Question: Are you hand stitching or using a sewing machine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the balls, I prefer hand stitching. They can be done on the machine, but I prefer hand stitching for the curves and careful fitting of the pieces.

    ReplyDelete