Saturday, December 7, 2013

Fun with Nickel Patches

Nickel patches are squares of fabric that are 5 inches x 5 inches.  Hence the name.   At my local fabric store, they are also 5 cents.   So I often stop in to pick some up, planning to use them in small projects, or add variety to a scrap quilt.

Apparently, I stop by quite often.   I went today because the quilt fabric at the store was on sale for 25% off.  Even the nickel patches.   Yeah, I am cheap, I like patches for even less than 5 cents. The nice lady at the counter recognized me.   She asked me if I had ever made a quilt out of all the patches I bought.   I showed her the picture of the sashed 4 patch I finished recently.   I used nickel patches for the 4 patches.   She liked it.

Usually I only buy 1 of each fabric, but I also found some really cool patches to make a block for the toys my friends and I are making for the Family Justice Center.   Right now we have an uneven number and it was driving me nuts.   Then I saw this particular fabric and realized it would make an awesome block.   Sometimes, it just works out.  So I bought 4 of those and will use a nice coordinating fabric for the rest of the block.



Isn't that some really cool fabric?


I wound up buying 25 patches for $1.   Told you I was cheap./

No comments:

Post a Comment